Monday, January 18, 2021

Godley & Creme - A Little Piece of Heaven - Why this wedding cake music video should have existed

This is what could have existed - the wedding cake music video, not the messed-up original video.




As Xylon from amazon.com once reviewed:

I found this little disc in a used record shop some years ago and being the 10cc fan that I am (and having the vinyl), I snatched up that little plastic shiny disc with a hole!

I have played the recording a few times and none over the last few years, yet it remains in the collection for one simple reason... I doubt I would ever find this one again.
As I recall this recording is a homage to harmonica-played blues. It's still got your Godley-Creme lyrical humor and harmony, but it was largely a forgettable listen.
I'll give it another listen this evening and update this review.


The "Wedding Cake Version" video exists because it overlays the 1988 art-pop song "A Little Piece of Heaven" by Godley & Creme onto a dramatic wedding scene from a soap opera, specifically featuring the characters Stefan and Alexis (0:37).
The video is a fan-made or alternative edit rather than the song's original, official promotional video. The audio track features the modest 1988 hit, while the visual and dialogue elements come from a television drama where characters clean up after a wedding reception, eat leftovers of the wedding cake, and discuss a "crime Lord" (0:17).
Here is how the distinct elements breakdown:
  • The Music: "A Little Piece of Heaven" is a track from Godley & Creme's final studio album, Goodbye Blue Sky. The song's themes are heavily rooted in biblical scriptures regarding human nature, hypocrisy, and judgement (citing Luke 6:42, Leviticus 13:2, Isaiah 7:20, and Matthew 25:1).
  • The Visual Setting: The dialogue reveals a post-wedding cleanup where a character named Stefan is caught eating the wedding cake by a guest looking for Alexis (0:37). The cake was originally intended to be sent to a homeless shelter (0:26).
  • The Drama Context: Later dialogue in the clip features a character congratulating the bride despite her marrying a "crime Lord," adding that it was a lovely wedding because "no one got shot" (4:47), followed by a warning directed at a character named Michael (5:47).

No comments:

Post a Comment